Operating Room Efficiency
In today’s Value-based Reimbursement model, understanding and mitigating ``cost leaks`` in your OR is a high-return place to start cost containment.
Protect your margins while delivering the best patient experience possible with HALYARD*.
Operating room delays translate to lost money by the minute
OR time delays are critical to the profitability of each patient case. Taken together, seemingly small delays can result in profit erosion for your entire hospital.
When you consider that over 61% of all surgical procedures experience a delay1, you may be giving away your profit margin without realizing it. With an average cost per O.R. minute2 of $62, inefficiencies that cause delays can eat away at profits rapidly.
One key cause: Product waste.
For every three procedures with a delay, you’re giving one away at cost.
Implementing small changes to avoid or eliminate delays can have a direct and positive impact on your bottom line.
How does operating room product waste translate to delays?
Overall waste in a healthcare facility attributed to operating rooms³
|Product waste encompasses things like:||Results in:|
|PPE discarded due to inappropriateness for the task||Time needed to re-don|
|Inability to use breached surgical kits||Waiting for a replacement|
|Surgical kits containing unnecessary items||Slowed procedure process|
Custom Procedure Trays
Custom surgical kits can help your operating room staff maintain efficiency and prevent surgery delays.
Our innovative solution is designed to assure you a reliable supply of the trays you need now – and for the long term. Additionally, our unique Americas-based kitting and supply chain for key components give you greater peace of mind.
Unmatched surgical portfolio
In addition to best-in-class products, we have a fully tiered portfolio to meet your clinical and financial needs at every level.
Better supply chain control
Our unique Americas-based kitting and supply chain for key components give you greater peace of mind.
Reliable supply even in times of crisis
With gowns and drapes made in our own plants using our own fabric, we have the proven ability to ramp up quickly to meet demand during disasters and health crises.
Ways to reduce operating room delays
Two examples of how small changes can reverse delay trends include:
1. Choose Proper Gowns & Masks
Problem: Strikethrough on gowns or face masks can occur as a result of wearing the wrong protection-level for the procedure.
Delay time: 10-15-minutes to stop, re-scrub, replace mask, re-gown and re-glove.
Cost of Delay: $620 – $930
HALYARD Solution: With AERO SERIES* gowns from HALYARD*, the color difference makes it easy to choose between AAMI Level 3 protection (for most procedures) and AAMI Level 4 for longer, high-fluid procedures. Similarly, FLUIDSHIELD* ASTM-rated surgical masks help wearers choose the appropriate level of facial protection.
2. Use the Right Wrap & Containers
Problem: Tears in sterilization wrap or damaged instrument containers require replacement sets or re-sterilization.
Delay time: 8-60-minutes for flash sterilization or up to an hour to obtain a terminally-sterilized replacement set.
Cost of Delay: $496 – $3,720
HALYARD Solution: HALYARD* SMART-FOLD* Sterilization wrap has the highest level of bacterial filtration effectiveness—99.9%–and in the operating room, the convenient pull-tabs and patented design3 make aseptic presentation quicker than ever.
Our products, such as HALYARD* SMART-FOLD* Sterilization Wraps and Custom Procedure Trays,
along with helpful guides to proper PPE selection can help your facility realize efficiencies and savings, with a positive impact on hospital profitability and patient outcomes.
SMART-FOLD* Sterilization Wrap: features POWERGUARD* technology, for the highest level of bacterial filtration effectiveness—99.9%.
- Reference line for accurate tray placement
- Handy positioning strips hold material in place for easier wrapping
- Pull tabs for easy aseptic opening
- Meets the ISO 11607 microbial barrier challenge, to protect instruments during storage, transport and handling
- Fire resistant
- Abrasion resistant
- Impact-resistant fabric resists tears and cuts in handling
- White inner sheet makes inspection up to 86% faster
- Compatible with most common sterilization modalities: Pre-vacuum steam, Ethylene oxide
- 61% more weight in critical zones
SMART-FOLD* in the OR: Unwrapping and Removal
Design an efficiency plan that’s right for your O.R.
Every operating room has unique needs and requirements.
That’s why HALYARD* brings you custom-designed services and solutions to target the areas you wish to improve.
The Right Protection at the Right Price
HALYARD* drapes6 and gowns are flame-, fluid-, and lint-resistant, providing excellent protection for your staff and patients. We’ll help you select the right product at the right price for every procedure.
Custom Pack Transparency
Halyard can help you break the cycle of increasing custom pack costs. We’ll work with your custom tray provider to understand your pricing and implement changes that will save you money.
More Than a Blueprint
Think of your HALYARD OR Design team as an ongoing resource. We’ll be with you all the way, working with your staff to bring your customized plan to life and ensure you get the savings and efficiency benefits we’ve identified.
Average savings on surgical supplies
For customers who have conducted facility-wide utilization reviews with HALYARD. For many hospitals, that’s tens of thousands of dollars every year.
Request a consultation
Talk with one of our reps to see what changes you can start making to contain costs and improve patient experience in the O.R.
- Van Winkle, Rachelle A., et al. Operating Room Delays: Meaningful Use in Electronic Health Record, CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing. 2016:1.
- Girotto, J A., et al. Optimizing your operating room: Or, why large, traditional hospitals don’t work. International Journal of Surgery. 2010; 8(5): 359-67.http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1743919110000804
- Axelrod D, Bell C, Feldman J et all. Greening the Operating Room and Perioperative Area: Environment Sustainability for Anesthesia Practice. American Society of Anesthesiologists; 2017
- Study comparing Kimguard* SMART-FOLD* Wrap to Kimguard One-Step* Sterilization Wrap, Kurt Salmon and Associates, 2011.
- Halyard product specifications. US Patent No. US8261963
- Exclusive of H100 Drapes